Friday, April 2, 2010

Breakfast made easy...


I had a few friends over for breakfast yesterday and made up a batch of granola to serve with the local organic strawberries that have just come into season.  I was asked for the recipe (if you can even call it that, it's so easy) and thought since I was typing it up I would share it here.

4 cups oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup raw seeds (I like pepitas)
2+ tablespoons unsalted butter
1+ tablespoon honey
pinch of salt (optional)

Combine oats, nuts, seeds, and coconut in a large bowl. Melt the butter and while hot stir in the honey. Pour butter over dry mixture and toss together until lightly coated. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and put in a 350* oven. After 10 minutes toss with a spatula and put back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Let it cool and store in an airtight container.

Voila, it's that simple.

details...
Of course you could substitute vegetable oil for the butter, but I think you will be disappointed!  Feel free to substitute your favorites for the almonds and pumpkin seeds, and you can always add more honey if you like it sweeter.  Serve with milk or yogurt.  I like to serve a bowl of mixed dried berries and raisins on the side but you could just as easily throw them in the jar too!

No comments:

Post a Comment